Collision insurance: Yes or no?

Ha, I seem to break records lately for non-kinky posts. ๐Ÿ˜€ It’s because my kinky stuff is FAR too kinky to write about publicly.

I promised someone (can’t remember who it was, grr!) to post ideas about cooking for one. Was that you? If yes, please let me know. I’ll get to that post…oh…eventually. ๐Ÿ˜€

Since we have readers from so many countries, I was curious. What kind of insurance do you have for your cars? I’ve recently learned that not everyone carries collision insurance (versus liability insurance), and that collision insurance might not always be worth it.

As to the difference, I think liability means your insurance will pay someone else if you damage their car in an accident, while collision means your insurance will pay for your own repairs in case of an accident.

I’d always thought that collision insurance meant with a non-moving object (such as running into a pole), but as you can see, I am a bit hazy.

What kind of car insurance do you have? Do you have both collision and liability where you live, or do you have a different system? What do you think is necessary? Or don’t you handle it?

(I promise I’ll write about kinky stuff again soon…Grin)


20 thoughts on “Collision insurance: Yes or no?

  1. Nina says:

    Hi Ana, we have fully comprehensive insurance for my car and I think this includes liability. Hubby does that kind of paperwork for us. I don’t know if there really is a difference for us here when it comes to bumping into moving or non-moving objects. I had both and the insurance paid. But I am still sure the lamp post had moved against my car, not the other way round ๐Ÿ™‚


    • Anastasia Vitsky says:

      BOL Nina!! That has to be the quote of the day. “I am sure the lamp post had moved against my car…”

      Thanks for the giggle. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Yes, I think comprehensive means liability and collision. I think. ๐Ÿ˜€


  2. laurellasky says:

    I have full coverage. It depends on the age of your car. Premiums keep going up and the value of the car goes down. It’s Murphy’s Law, if something goes wrong, it will!
    Hi to Michael. I love the name , my brother’s name is Michael. I call him Mikey.


    • Michael says:

      Hey, Laurel, I always wanted a cool brother named Michael so I guess that makes my brothers and sisters the lucky ones in the family. ๐Ÿ˜‰

      Ana, the only trouble I get into is around here due to your capricious, but lovable, nature.
      Can’t wait for you to get back to the kink.
      Spanking animated emoticon


  3. pao says:

    I think… back home, the regular, comprehensive car insurance usually covers damages to another person’s car/property, injuries to third party (caused by you) and damage/loss to your own vehicle (fire, accident, theft). Then if you don’t want to cover your own damages, you can opt to buy a premium that covers damages to third parties alone, or one that covers third parties and damages/loss to your own vehicle by theft, housebreaking, etc but not accidents.


    • Anastasia Vitsky says:

      Yup, that sounds similar. I think the difference is that you have to have collision insurance until you have paid for the car (if you took out a car loan).

      Such funny non-kinky topics lately. ๐Ÿ˜€


  4. Blondie says:

    Here we are required to have liability but not collision. On our newer cars we carry collision but on our old truck, it’s not worth it – the deductible is probably more than the car is worth.


    • Anastasia Vitsky says:

      Especially when cars depreciate so fast! It’s sad when cars cost so much money but then end up not being worth very much. Like I told Pao, I think we have to have collision until the car is paid in full.


  5. Ami Starsong says:

    We have fully comprehensive car insurance, which covers absolutely everything, but is expensive, then there is Third Party Fire and Theft, which means if you crash into someone else you are covered for their car’s damage or bursting into flames, but you have to pay for your own damage, and finally there is plain old Third Party, which means you are not covered for fire or theft of either vehicle, just repairs to any vehicle you crash in to. I think I got that right. Gasp.


    • Anastasia Vitsky says:

      That’s a good point. I’m not sure if my insurance covers theft or fire. I’d have to check into that. I think insurance companies make things as complicated as possible to avoid comparison shopping.

      Hehe…such dry topics.


  6. Callie says:

    We call it comprehensive or 3rd party insurance.

    We have comprehensive which means we are covered no matter who’s fault on the four wheel drive and the new car.

    My old car which H drives most often only has 3rd party which means it’s only covered for the other persons damage if we are at fault. It’s pointless ubaing comprehensive on this car although I used to have it because the cost is about 1/2 what the car is actually worth and I’ve saved my money in the last few years. It won’t affect us greatly if we lose this car because we have 2 others.

    It’s about the risk you’re willing to take ๐Ÿ˜‰



    • Anastasia Vitsky says:

      Hi Callie, and welcome! Thank you for your information. A friend did tell me that the payments toward collision insurance would most likely pay for a new car eventually. It always helps to have spare cars just in case. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Yup, and I’ve always been terrible at calculating risks. I wish we could have a magic crystal ball to tell us where to spend our money the most wisely.

      Thanks again for visiting!


  7. Leah says:

    It’s my understanding that any financial institution that would loan you money to buy a car would expect collision insurance.

    When we do carry it, we generally don’t make a claim for anything under $1000 because it’ll just drive our premiums up.

    I think it’s wise to drop after the car depreciates as long as you have a cushion to make repairs or replace your car if needed.


  8. catrouble says:

    LOL Ana…Comprehensive, Collision, Liability…all sucks cause as soon as you turn in a claim, your rates are either raised or your policy is “not renewed”. And it’s not my fault that the darn deer jumped on the hood of my car that wasn’t even a year old!!!!

    Hugs and Blessings…


  9. Roz says:

    Hey Ana, we have full comprehensive insurance, which covers both the repairs to your car and any liability for repairs to the other vehicle if the accident was your fault, or third party cover which only covers repairs to the other vehicle if you are at fault. A cheaper option if your vehicle is a bomb with little value.



Thank you so much for joining the discussion! Please play nicely or you may be asked to stand in the corner. ;)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s