Welcome to the most wonderful time of year, Ana’s Advent Calendar! Hurrah! It’s finally here! I’ve been waiting for this for eleven months! 😀
Are you new to Ana’s Advent Calendar? Take a look at last year’s posts here, if you’d like an idea of this event.
The rules are simple: register to play, and then read the posts and comment each day (by midnight EST) to earn prize entries. If you comment every day December 1-24, you’ll win a Perfect Attender award and a prize. I will try to have the posts up by 8 AM EST each day, but some days it may be later.
Due to impending deadlines, travel (including a trip this week to deliver Kindles to Lost-N-Found Youth for Something Good), and the untold hours of labor involved in Advent Calendar last year, I’ve had to make some adjustments.
- Increased community participation. I won’t be able to respond to every comment every day. I want to be both fair and upfront about this. While I cherished getting to know everyone every day last year, it took up to six hour per day. I wasn’t coordinating a major philanthropic project or rushing to meet two deadlines, either. However, my loss is your gain. 🙂 This year, in the spirit of community, I ask that you make an extra effort to reply to each other’s comments, welcome those who are new, and encourage shy friends to participate. I know I can count on you, my wonderful readers.
- Community spirit. Last year, the array of prizes was stunning. It also took untold hours of work behind the scenes to obtain, manage, and distribute prizes. (To give you an idea, it took me–not to mention helper elves–approximately an additional half hour to an hour each day, plus around ten hours to coordinate winners at the end of the month. That’s in addition to the up to six hours per day responding to comments and not including time writing posts and coordinating guest posts.) While I will gladly take any and all prizes for Ana’s Advent Calendar, I have not actively solicited them. We do still have some amazing prizes (and I’ll ask you to list them in your comments), but I’d like the focus this year to explicitly be the same focus as last year’s unspoken one–fun, fellowship, and a bit of comfort amidst a season that can be fraught with emotional complication.
- Slower pace. Last year (and the year before), I processed entries overnight (until 4 or 5 AM, in fact) to surprise everyone on Christmas morning. It made for an exhausted holiday. This year, I’ll post a Google form (similar to the registration forms to play and donate prizes) for you to verify your daily entries. I will announce the results as soon as I can, but I will also take some time to relax first. I hope you will, too.
Special note: If your heart is tender this year with fresh loss, you are welcome here. If you have lost a loved one, are estranged from family, have lost your job, are dealing with medical issues, or just plain struggle with the season, this is a safe place for you to be you. For one month, let’s pledge to be here each day and to be open to one another. Last year’s Advent Calendar changed my life, and I hope that this year’s will do the same.
At last! Let’s get to the introductory questions. Please comment by answering the following:
- Have you registered, read the code of conduct, and agreed to respect the rules and spirit of Ana’s Advent Calendar?
- If you are donating a prize, please tell us your contribution.
- Did you participate last year or the year before, or is this your first time?
If you participated before, what was one memory you enjoy?
If this is your first time, what are you looking forward to most?
- How did you hear about Advent Calendar this year?
- Do you plan to drop by now and then, or are you hoping to earn a Perfect Attender award?
- What brings you to the Advent Calendar this year? Why do you want to play?
- Who are you? Are you new to Governing Ana, or have you been here before? Tell us about yourself. If you have a blog, feel free to share the link.
- Say hello and respond to the person who has commented before you. (If you are the first commenter, you can respond to me.)
I’ll respond to the last commenter.
Happy first day of Ana’s Advent Calendar!
P.S. Silly me! I forgot to answer my own questions.
- I have not registered, but I did create the registration form. Go Google forms!
- I may donate a crocheted scarf, if I have time to finish it. I also believe I can donate a copy of Taliasman. 🙂
- There are too many favorite memories to name, but one is crashing my blog last year with all the videos of favorite holiday songs. We will reprise that event this year! Oh, and the always hilariously chaotic White Elephant Gift exchange complete with no one following the rules.
- Hehe. On December 26 last year when I said, “I can’t wait for next year!”
- I will be gone a few days (traveling this week and later this month), but I’ve scheduled guest posts whose authors will be here to respond to comments. Does this mean I don’t get a Perfect Attender award? 😀
- This is my favorite event of the year!
I’m Ana. I love wooden spoons, hairbrushes, crocheting, playing with babies and children, organizing events…oh, and I write a book or two. 🙂 I have a sense of humor (or hope I do), and I like long walks on the beach…ahem. Wrong site. I like my soapboxes.